The winter months can be rough for a number of reasons: waking up when it’s dark, driving to work in the cold, barely seeing the sun during the day, and finally returning home feeling so empty you just want to sit and watch TV. We have all been there. The good news is, those months are gone and we can finally start to go outside more, feel more energetic, and focus on our health again. Here are some things to keep in mind.
Concentrate on the Immediate Issues of Winter Weight
We know it’s hard to maintain weight over winter, it’s almost science. To get back on track focus on the following:
- Focus on eating smaller portions of natural, non processed foods and avoid casually snacking. Cook at home more, and definitely no fast food.
- Figure out what kind of exercise(s) works best for you. Try to come up with something that will work the entire body, could be rotations at the gym or constant yoga sessions. If you need some new gear, check out the newest from Under Armour.
- Sleep Routine
- In the winter when it is always dark, out sleep routines seem to just get all messed up. Regardless of your daily schedule, try to get on a regular sleeping routine.
- Lazy Time
- You don’t have to be active all the time, but you no longer have the excuse of cold weather to keep you inside. If you find yourself watching an hour of TV, try to change that to an hour of walking in the neighborhood.
Make a Routine to Stick With
- Now that you have gotten yourself back into the right mindset of health, it’s time to put it all to practice. Stick to your sleep schedule no matter how hard you want to stay awake late or sleep in. Don’t break your diet except for the occasional slip when with friends. Stay active if the weather permits. Don’t be a couch potato!
Don’t Be Shy to Get Help
- All of this is way easier said than done, so don’t be afraid to get a trainer to help you along the way. You can get one from the gym or a private one to deal directly with you. If you can’t afford a trainer, chances are you have a few health minded friends that would be more than happy to help you if you ask, they absolutely won’t shame you.